On October 18th the American University in Bulgaria (AUBG) was a host to the first of its kind AUBG Fintech Expo, which was organized by the Bulgarian Fintech Association in partnership with AUBG’s Investment Management Club. The event brought to campus some of the most advanced and innovative companies leading the FinTech revolution in Bulgaria.
The students had the opportunity to hear lectures and participate in discussions with experts in the financial technologies field. They also met with representatives of the ten companies-members of the Bulgarian Fintech Association, who participated with booths within the expo.
The event was opened by Gergana Stoitchkova – Director of BFA, and Martin Iliev – President of the IMC. They welcomed the audience and explained more about the idea behind the expo.
The first presentation was about Bulgaria’s potential to continue developing as a fintech front-runner among the SEE countries. Maria Yordanova from the Bulgarian Fintech Association explained what fintech is and provided some insight on the reasons why Bulgaria excels at establishing a sustainable fintech ecosystem.
Other speakers and topics included:
- Lyubomir Tankishev from CashCredit spoke about achieving impact with innovative analytics;
- “How Blockchain & AI Are Rebuilding Banking from the Ground Up” was presented by Kamen Trendafilov and George Manolov from Credissimo and Nexo;
- “Venture Capital & Startup Financing” – Martin Iliev, IMC;
- Paynetics – Hristian Drensky, Paysera – Filip Mutafis, and Reloyalty – Ivo Vasilev, took part in a panel discussion about the disruption of financial services as an entrepreneurial opportunity;
- “The Advantages of a Hyper-convergent Environment”, SEPA Cyber Technologies, Apostolos Pagkoutsos;
- “The Genesis of a Startup” – Klear, Loic le Pichoux;
- “The Peer to Peer Model: Aspects, Participants & Benefits” – IUVO, Daniela Yordanova.
The venue was full of students throughout the continuity of the presentations. The booths in the halls, as well as the cocktail at the end of the day provided a setting for networking between students and company representatives.
Young people hold the future in their hands, especially when it comes to innovative industries such as fintech, and the AUBG Fintech Expo was just the start to the Association’s active cooperation with universities.
The event was organized with the financial assistance of ePay.bg and CashCredit, who were the main sponsors of the expo, and with the unstoppable enthusiasm of the members of the Investment Management Club.