- 1st place went to PossePay, a fintech webplatform providing an online paying solution for bars and restaurants and their customers
- From Zero To Fintech Hackathon gathered representatives from the public and private sector who discussed all key stakeholders under the initiative to provide the best Fintech education possible to students and interested people in the field of digital finance
- The hackathon kicked-off with a nearly 5-hour workshop session on 18th March, continued with mentor sessions with each team, and finished with an awarding ceremony on 26 March
- More than 45 people registered for the event and took part in the hackathon
- A total of six teams were competing for the 1st place
- The top 3 fintech projects will continue working with their mentors on finalising their fintech solutions
What is From Zero To Fintech hackathon?
From Zero To Fintech is part of the Master’s degree program in Finance, Investments and Fintech at Sofia University and gives the participants an opportunity to work closely with one of the most prominent specialists in the field of marketing, sales, and investments in Bulgaria and Europe. The hackathon is open to anyone who has an affinity to digital finance and wants to develop their fintech business idea. From Zero To Fintech gives the teams the opportunity to work with fintech experts on their projects and test their ideas with ‘dummy data’ via Iris PSD 2 HUB. All fintech solutions were evaluated by a highly respected jury consisting of Fintech gurus from the academia and Bulgarian fintech prvate sector. The event is organized under the patronage of Ministry of Finance, Bulgarian National Bank, FSC, Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski, the European Commission, and Innovative Sofia and is supported by the Technical University – Sofia, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics at Sofia University, Telerik Academy, SoftUni as well as by the IT community from the Data Science Society Bulgaria.
What happened during the From Zero To Fintech 2023?
The start of the hackathon was on the 18 March and was open by the organizers from BFA – Georgi Penev, and FEBA “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Dr. Deyan Radev, followed by 6 workshops led by our mentors, providing the participants with a good overview of how to build a sustainable business solution. During the next 6 days, from 19 to 25 March, the teams had the opportunity to work on their fintech project together with their assigned mentor, as on the 25th March each team had to prepare their pitching videos, which was later evaluated by the jury members.
On 26 March, the awarding ceremony was hosted in Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” where the pitching videos were presented to the audience and the top three best business solutions were announced by Georgi Penev and Dr. Deyan Radev.
Who won the competition?
1st place went to PossePay, a fintech webplatform providing an online paying solution for bars and restaurants and their customers. The team took the big prize of BGN 3,000.
U-Save team won the silver with their idea of a personal finance app which helps users manage their savings, keep track of their spending and gaining a better financial literacy.
3rd place went to PeerCover, a P2P Insurtech platform for decentralized auto insurance that facilitates the contractual, financial and administrative tasks for users.
The three fintech solutions will continue working with their mentors on their projects and strategy development.
You can watch the teams’ pitching videos here.
The BFA together with our partners from FEBA and all supporters of From Zero To Fintech will continue working towards the popularization and education in in the field of digital finance and encouraging the development of the ecosystem in Bulgaria.
Stay tuned for more workshops, events and our next hackathon!